There will be a 2-hour Delayed Opening for tomorrow, Monday, March 2nd. Please note the following four items:
- All sections of the school – from Nursery through Grade 12 – will begin at 10:00 am.
- If your bus company arrives at your home at the regular time or if you need to drop-off your child at school at 8:00 am, Waldorf will be open with limited staff at 8:00 am.
- Bus companies respond to decisions made by the individual school district. Therefore, it is possible that when the Waldorf School has a delayed opening, other school districts may be closed or open for a regular school day, thereby causing difficulty with your child's transportation. Please confirm with your individual bus company how they handle such situations and consider transportation alternatives.
- Finally, for the 8th graders going to Camp Glen Brook, please arrive by 9:45 am. The bus to Camp Glen Brook will depart at 10:30 am.
Dear Parents and Guardians in Grades 5-8,
With the new school year fast approaching, I would like to share several important reminders regarding the School’s orchestra program.
Music can be a source of wonder for children, bringing a lifetime of joy and comfort. My goal is to help each student have a memorable musical journey. Therefore, it is very special when opportunities arise for students to share their musical experience. There will be violin, cello, chamber music, jazz and choral evenings and other musical performances spread throughout the year. This schedule, description and important details of these performances will be communicated later. Most importantly are dates when students’ attendance is required.
Throughout the year, we will be looking for ways to inspire your child's musical talents with after-school chamber music ensembles and other special group, and class performances. I would also like to share a few important reminders as we look to the year ahead.
- Please make arrangements to rent your child’s instrument prior to September. A list of string instrument rental agencies which have been used by our parents in the past can be found by clicking here.
- Please make arrangements with your private violin/viola/cello/bass instructor for lessons to be held on a regular basis during school hours.
All questions regarding private lessons can be addressed to me. I will make sure that every student is covered by a teacher. Our School is extremely lucky to have an exceptional group of music teachers who have a love for sharing their passion for music with young people. Individual lessons cost $35 per half hour lesson, beginning with the second week of the year. Please remember that parents are responsible for paying their child’s instrument teacher directly, including for those days when a lesson is cancelled without 24-hour prior notice. Payments need to be made without delay. The instrument faculty makes great effort to come to the school. These teachers travel to our school from New York City and New Jersey. Once they have started their trip and mapped-out their schedule, it is important to value their time.
- Students should bring their instruments to school on orchestra and private lesson days. While cellos are available at school for students who cannot bring their instrument on the school bus, please remember that a cello is still needed for home practice. Students will also need a binder for their orchestra music, to be brought to each class.
Click here for a a brochure about the Jeanette Resnick Music Lesson Endowment Fund, which provides assistance for private music lessons to families with financial need. Please read the brochure for more information about qualifications. As overall funding is limited, I encourage you to complete and submit the enclosed grant application by Monday, September 15th.
Throughout the school year, I hope you will feel free to continually communicate with me, and your child’s private teacher, regarding your child’s progress. Your direct involvement means a great deal to your child, their teachers, and the overall quality of the orchestral music program at the Waldorf School of Garden City. You are always welcome to reach me directly at email@example.com, and cell phone (516) 538-2554.
The Waldorf School of Garden City
225 Cambridge Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Tel: (516) 742-3434
Cell: (516) 538-2554
Fax: (516) 742-3457