Dear 5th Grade Parents and Guardians,
I hope that this letter finds everyone in excellent health and spirits, enjoying these lovely days of waning summer! I have had a restful and expansive summer filled with time at the beach and in the city, along with weeks of reading and preparing materials for the school year to come. As the air has begun to cool down and the daylight lasts ever so slightly less each day, I am looking forward with eagerness to meeting all of you and to beginning the work of 5th grade.
To that end, this letter includes important information about some events happening in the upcoming weeks and the first day of school. Below, you will also find information about the best channels for communicating with me during the school year.
- Tuesday, August 27, 7-8pm: Parent Meeting. Meet Mr. Lepson! I will speak about myself and my journey to the Waldorf School of Garden City, answer your questions, and give a brief overview of our first main lesson block and the school year to come.
- Wednesday, August 28, 2-3pm: I will be in the 5th grade classroom setting things up, and I would love to invite the children to come and spend an informal hour helping out, chatting, and getting reacquainted. This is an especially good time for those students that I wasn’t able to meet in June to come and get to know their new teacher a bit before the first day of school.
- Tuesday September 3: First Day of School, Full Day. Class begins at 8:10 and our Opening Assembly is at 8:30. For the first day, everyone will need:
- Bookstore card with money on the account. On the first day of school we will be purchasing supplies from the bookstore for use in class throughout the year. Ms. Mignone has prepared what we need, and the children will learn about the process of shopping at the school bookstore.
- Pencil case: Last year the class made beautiful cross-stitched pencil cases with Ms. Beekman. Some are at the school, but if your child’s case is at home, and he/she would like to use it this year, please bring it on the first day. Otherwise, any simple pencil case is great.
- Lunch card with money on the account.
- Wear assembly clothes.
- If you haven’t already seen it, the general back to school letter is here.
- Monday, September 30, at 7:00 pm Class Meeting – For an in-depth preview of the year ahead.
My preferred form of communicating about your child and her/his experience at school is in person, during my weekly office hour. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please do not hesitate to make an appointment. Appointments can be made by calling me on the phone, or by leaving me a message with Mrs. Fran Silberg in the office.
Office Hours: Every Tuesday, 4:00 – 5:30, by appointment.
Phone: To make an appointment for office hours you can call me anytime before 7pm on school days. During school hours, I encourage you to leave messages for me with the school office (516) 742-3434.
Home: (718) 692 4571
Cell: (917) 623 0772
I thank you in advance, for not sending text messages.
Email: Please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) only for logistical and administrative issues. My experience has been that email and text messaging is a very poor medium for any kind of serious, nuanced conversation.
Thank you all so very much for reading through this important information!
See you soon,
Fifth Grade Class Teacher
The Waldorf School of Garden City
225 Cambridge Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Tel: (516) 742-3434
Click here to return to the Back-to-School Message Center.