Dear 2nd Grade Parents and Guardians,
Our new school year is just around the corner! Your children are sure to be eager and excited about reconnecting with friends and returning to their regular rhythm of working and learning. In Ms. Platz’s short-term absence, I am equally as eager and excited to be the one to welcome your children back to school as new second graders. Our class will start the year in a language arts block meanwhile preparing for our role as St. Michael in our school’s annual Michaelmas pageant in late September.
I would like to take this opportunity to let you know what our second graders will need to bring with them on the first day of school and also to remind you of some of our school’s values and daily procedures.
- A change of clothes including socks and underwear, all articles should be labeled with your child’s name and in a shoebox to be stored in their cubbies.
- A raincoat and mud stompers.
- Since we will have our movement classes in the gym this year, we will need gym shoes that are to be worn in the gym only to protect the floor.
- A paint smock, an old shirt from mom or dad with the sleeves cut off will work perfectly.
- A place mat and napkin for snack and lunch. These will go home on Fridays for laundering.
- Please keep lunch boxes simple and plain without pictures from children’s movies or TV shows; these images are distracting to children and have the potential of making mealtime conversations unpleasant.
- Please do not send candy or other sweet edibles for snack or lunch. A protein food will nourish the children and provide good energy for the day. Many children find a warm snack in a thermos very appealing at ten in the morning. Like last year, soup, homemade bread and organic milk can be purchased at lunchtime from the soup cart.
- School clothes should be simple, practical, comfortable, and sturdy enough to stand rigorous play outside. Please look up the dress guidelines in the parent handbook. Again, we prefer clothes without pictures and writing on them.
- School starts at 8:10 A.M. promptly. Allow your child to have a few minutes before the lesson begins to settle in and connect with their friends. It is unpleasant for a child to come late to class.
- When scheduling after school activities or other appointments, please keep in mind that school ends at 3:20 P.M.
Lastly, we are happy to welcome the following new students to our class.
- Kennedy Mayers
- Kahlil Barrera
- Emily Feldstein
- Ruby Patton
- Alexandra Burtis-Wyant
- Othello Cook
I look forward to our work together this year and I will see you soon!
Substitute Second Grade Class Teacher
The Waldorf School of Garden City
225 Cambridge Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Tel: (516) 742-3434
Click here to return to the Back-to-School Message Center.