At the recent French Poetry Contest at Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School in Plainview, N.Y., students from the Waldorf School of Garden City gave outstanding performances in the recitation division. Of the 15 students that participated, six received awards.
- 7th Grade (Level IA)
- Ardo Ali, 2nd Place for “La Nuit” by Anne Hébert
- Trevor Beale, 2nd Honorable Mention “Son de cloche” by Pierre Réverdy
- 8th Grade (Level IB)
- Anja Resnick, 1st Place “L’âge des rêves” by Eloi de Grandmont
- Sofia Patino, 2nd Honorable Mention “Le cancre” by Jacques Prévert
- 10th Grade (Level III)
- Sam Resnick, 3rd Honorable Mention “Le Dormeur du val” by Arthur Rimbaud
- 11th Grade (Level IV)
- Phoebe McGlone, 2nd Honorable Mention “Hymne à la Beauté” by Charles Baudelaire
“Performers are judged on the correctness of their pronunciation and on their dramatic rendering of the poetry,” said Waldorf’s high school French teacher Reina White. “We are incredibly proud of them. Félicitations à tous les participants!”
The annual contest, sponsored by the Nassau County chapter of the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), encourages both the recitation of previously published poetry and the composition of original pieces. This year, more than 250 students took part in the competition.