To see the lunch calendar please check your Blackbaud Calendar.
Due to the global pandemic, calendar events are subject to change. Some events may be held remotely as necessary. For the Lunch Menu, please click HERE.
- This event has passed.
May 25, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
Our 5th Grade class is doing incredible work as they prepare for their participation in the upcoming Greek Olympics. The celebration of an ancient Greek Olympics at the end of fifth grade is a highlight of the year for students. This experience of living history takes months of preparation and honors the ancient gods on Mount Olympus. The ceremony combines music and poetry as well as five field events and Greek dancing. The event will be held here at the Waldorf School of Garden City on Thursday, May 25th. Please make note of this date. Joining us for the event will be the fifth grades from the Rudolf Steiner School in New York City and the Brooklyn Waldorf School. There will be 60 students sharing their efforts and talents. You are welcome to join as a spectator and we ask that you help your children be prepared with proper clothing.
To help create a special tone for the day, all 5th grade athletes will dress in WHITE. The students can wear long white shorts or pants and a white tee-shirt. Please check your child’s wardrobe now and see if any items will need to be purchased or borrowed for this event. White sneakers are not necessary; however, sneakers/running shoes are MANDATORY. All students will be assigned to a Greek City State (a mixture of students from each school) and will be given a colored sash to wear over their white shirt.
Students will all need to have a bagged lunch packed for the Olympics. We will be eating a picnic with our guests and students will not be able to go to the lunchroom on that day. Everyone should also have a water bottle labeled with their name. We will have stations available for bottles to be refilled throughout the day.
Here is a brief over view of the schedule for the day:
- 10:00 a.m. – Ceremony begins in Bonner Hall with music, odes and oaths.
- 10:30 a.m. – Proceed outdoors for the Olympic Fire, Song and burning of the odes. Field events … Javelin, Discus, Running Long Jump and Greek Wrestling run simultaneously, the field events conclude with a running relay. A circle Greek Dance culminates the morning activities.
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch, all Olympians will eat together (sack lunches will be needed)
- 1:00 p.m. – Closing Ceremony
- 2:00 p.m. – Farewell to visiting athletes