Dear 11th and 12th Grade Parents, Guardians, and Students:
The Student Council has organized a Junior and Senior Prom that has been scheduled for Saturday, May 18th from 8:00 p.m. 12:00 a.m. in the Waldorf gymnasium. Members of the High School Faculty and some High School Parents will be chaperoning the dance for the Juniors, Seniors and their guests.
We are pleased that our students have organized this activity and hope that it is an enjoyable evening for all. We also recognize that prom events can be a magnet for inappropriate and unsafe behaviors by young people. While it is our expectation that there will be no issues with our students and their guests, it is important that we clearly identify the rules and expected behavior well in advance. With that in mind, each Waldorf student and his or her guest will be asked to sign a contract that specifies conditions of participation and acceptable behavior at the dance. In order to have the students be able to enjoy themselves in a safe environment, the following rules will be in place:
- Students will not be allowed to leave and reenter the event at any point during the evening. Once students enter the prom, they must remain in the designated areas of the building until they are ready to leave for the evening.
- Students may only be in supervised areas of the school; no loitering is allowed in the parking lot and/or the school grounds.
- Students attending the Prom must conduct themselves in an orderly and respectful manner at all times. This includes not using profane language, drugs, alcoholic beverages or tobacco. Sexually explicit behavior is not allowed. Students who do not conduct themselves accordingly will have their parents notified and be asked to leave the event.
- All non-Waldorf students must bring a valid picture I.D.
- No food or beverage items may be brought to the prom; refreshments will be served.
- All bags and personal belongings are subject to search. While this may seem invasive, it is for the safety of all, and any student who refuses to comply will be denied entry and participation.
- Any violation of school rules will result in disciplinary action and removal from the dance.
At this time we ask that you confirm that you have read and understand the expectations for student behavior at the prom. The High School Faculty and I strongly suggest that you are aware of your child’s transportation to and from the Prom to ensure the safety of your child. Please acknowledge your support by completing the form below.
High School Chair
The Waldorf School of Garden City
225 Cambridge Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Tel: (516) 742-3434 Ext. 316
Fax: (516) 742-3457