There will be a 2-hour Delayed Opening for Friday, March 6th. Please note the following three items:
- All sections of the school – from Nursery through Grade 12 – will begin at 10:00 am.
- If your bus company arrives at your home at the regular time or if you need to drop-off your child at school at 8:00 am, Waldorf will be open with limited staff at 8:00 am.
- Bus companies respond to decisions made by the individual school district. Therefore, it is possible that when the Waldorf School has a delayed opening, other school districts may be closed or open for a regular school day, thereby causing difficulty with your child's transportation. Please confirm with your individual bus company how they handle such situations and consider transportation alternatives.
What is a Main Lesson Block?
Main Lesson [meyn les-uh n]
- A dedicated two hour block of time in the morning that is the central academic focus of the day.
- Students spend a considerable amount of time in the creation of a Main Lesson book.
Main Lesson Book [meyn les-uh n boo k]
- The Main Lesson Book contains compositions and artwork such as illustrations, diagrams, timelines, and maps that accompany them.
- These notebooks reflect the student’s comprehension and academic growth and are used by the teacher, along with weekly tests and classroom observations, to evaluate the progress of each child.
The concept of a Main Lesson may seem like a completely foreign one. It doesn’t fit into any particular subject, and requires students to make their own book! This can be very daunting for those who are new to Waldorf education (and even some ‘seasoned veterans’). In order to understand the role of the Main Lesson in Waldorf education, it is necessary to understand a few fundamental aspects of this kind of education. Read more >>